Thursday 14 April 2016

WORLD BOOK DAY


World Book Day is celebrated every year on April 23. The aim of it is to inculcate reading habits among people, specially on young  people.

The first World Book Day was celebrated April 23, in 1995. The date was chosen because it was the death of the famous authors William Shakespeare and Miguel de Cervantes. The idea of the day was taken from a Spanish tradition;  The Rose Day.

There are traditions on the day which are specific to some countries: in Spain, people exchange books and organise a reading marathon during two days; at the end, Miguel de Cervantes' price is given by the king. In Sweden, writing competitions are organised across schools and colleges.

In UK and Ireland, the day is celebrated on the first Thursday of March instead of April 23, as St George's Day is celebrated on this day.

To mark this important anniversary, a company in Australia has built a full-scale temporary working replica of the second globe theatre, which was built in 1599.
Shakespeare's works performed in this theatre made the Globe one of the most important theatres in history.


Thanks to researches from Sydney university, Pop-Up-Globe will replicate the exact dimensions  of the second Globe theatre. Eight works from William will be performed. The last one will be on April 16. All the people will share the same space and experience.



 

29 comments:

  1. This is a very interesting culture post. Besides,I love reading so knowing more about this topic is very enjoyable for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know there was the world book day and I really do believe that young people should be encouraged to read more, so it's amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do not like reading so much... but I think that it is a good idea to remember us, those two important authors.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like reading, so knowing more about a hobbie it's very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like a lot reading, and this blog so me that there are also lots of people that like reading, and that is great.In my opinion this blog is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is a good idea because they are many people that wants to read many books for culturize

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like reading because i learn a lot of new vocabulary and a learn to read more fast

    ReplyDelete
  10. I´m Sarah Pinto, a student of first ESO. I like reading books because you learn new vocabulary!!! The books make you travel to another places in your imagination.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello, I´m mikel a, first ESO student.
    I like reading because you learn new things. And finally you get the habit of reading books, also you learn new vocabulary.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello, I´m mikel a, first ESO student.
    I like reading because you learn new things. And finally you get the habit of reading books, also you learn new vocabulary.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello I´m Lucia a student of 1ºeso.
    I like Reading books because I travel to another place in my imagination and at the same time I learn new vocabulary!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi I am Imogen from 1°eso I like reading in different languages but my favourite language must be English.my favourite book is Matilda in English bye bye thank you for uploading this article imogen

    ReplyDelete
  15. Interesting article, I love reading books!

    ReplyDelete
  16. In my opinion, doing competitions also here would encourage people to read much more and enjoy it as well.

    ReplyDelete
  17. An exiting celebration that can be very interesting for students!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I didn't know about this celebration but it looks quite interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This celebration looks very interesting and at the same time it provides cultural knowledge

    ReplyDelete
  20. it seems to be really exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I never heard about this celebration but I think it could be something interesting for people who like reading.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have never heard about this celebration. It is a very interesting post.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is very interesting. I like it a lot!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I like reading, so that is very interesting info!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  26. wow!
    there is a lot of information that I didn"t know , is very interesting

    ReplyDelete
  27. how interesting, I had never heard it

    ReplyDelete